Peter Wolson, Ph.D.
LAISPS Training Analyst
March 3 & 10, 2018
10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Course will be held in the LAISPS Classroom
12011 San Vicente Blvd., Suite 520
Los Angeles, CA 90049
This Course is Approved for 4 CE/CME’s
Elizabeth E. Berlese, Ph.D.
Extension Program Chair
This course focuses on the psychoanalysis of politics and culture through writing op-ed pieces and online blogs on the most pressing current news. Dr. Wolson has published numerous such pieces, and will use them to discuss how to conceptualize and illuminate the unconscious psychodynamic underpinnings of major societal events, write effective opinion pieces and market them to newspapers and online blogs for public consumption. Through a psychoanalytic perspective, therapists can deepen the public’s awareness of the most controversial political issues of the day and contribute to the public dialogue.
GOALS & OBJECTIVES
Upon completion of this activity participants should be able to:
- That there is a political and cultural psyche motivated by unconscious psychodynamics that can be psychoanalyzed
- How psychoanalytic understanding can deepen awareness of political issues, such as social stigma and fears of the unconscious, the psychodynamics of war and violence, hatred of the other, corruption through idealization, etc.
- How to discern, conceptualize and write about political psychodynamics.
- How to differentiate between articles of advocacy versus illumination.
- How to market and publish one’s op-ed pieces and blogs in newspapers and online magazines and journals.
CONTINUING EDUCATION UNITS (CEU’S)
Important Disclosure: None of the planners or presenters of this CME/CE program has any relevant financial relationship to disclose.
Accreditation and Credit Designation Statement
Accreditation Statement: LAISPS is accredited by the Institute for Medical Quality/California Medical Association (IMQ/CMA) to provide continuing medical
edu cation for physicians. LAISPS takes responsibility for the content, quality and scientific integrity of this CME activity.
Physicians: LAISPS designates this educational activity for a maximum of 4 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits. Physicians should only claim credit
commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity. This credit may also be applied to the CMA Certificate in Continuing Medical
Psychologists: LAISPS is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. LAISPS
maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
Social Workers and Marriage and Family Therapists: LAISPS is approved by the Board of Behavioral Sciences to grant continuing education
credit to those holding LCSW and MFT licenses. (Provider #PCE311) This activity is designated for 4 credit hours.
- Participants must complete an online evaluation within 2 weeks of completing this CE/CME activity in order to receive credit.
- According to APA guidelines, CE credit can only be awarded to psychologists for full attendance