Barry Ross, Ph.D.
February 10, 2018
10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Course will be held in Instructors Home
Irvine, CA 92606
This Course is Approved for 4 CE/CME’s
Elizabeth E. Berlese, Ph.D.
Extension Program Chair
The use of internet pornography has become widespread in our increasingly technological society. To name it pathological, i.e. “Addiction”, or to place moralistic labels on it does not get at the analytic meaning, and is not clinically useful. This 4- hour course will consist of watching a movie “Don Juan” followed by a 3 hour seminar-style discussion on the theme of pornography as a Narcissistic Solution to the sometimes painful realities, limitations, and anxieties of interpersonal life.
GOALS & OBJECTIVES
Upon completion of this activity participants should be able to:
- Gain an understanding of the goal and internal need for the Narcissistic Solution. Participants will learn to identify and apply this understanding to their clinical work.
- Participants will gain empathy for working with these patients, demonstrating curiosity rather than judgment.
- Padefine and address shame, claustrophobic anxiety, and other common obstacles to redirecting psychic energies away from pornography to 3-D relating.
CONTINUING EDUCATION UNITS (CEU’S)
Important Disclosure: None of the planners or presenters of this CME/CE program has any relevant financial relationship to disclose.
Accreditation and Credit Designation Statement
Accreditation Statement: LAISPS is accredited by the Institute for Medical Quality/California Medical Association (IMQ/CMA) to provide continuing medical
edu cation for physicians. LAISPS takes responsibility for the content, quality and scientific integrity of this CME activity.
Physicians: LAISPS designates this educational activity for a maximum of 4 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits. Physicians should only claim credit
commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity. This credit may also be applied to the CMA Certificate in Continuing Medical
Psychologists: LAISPS is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. LAISPS
maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
Social Workers and Marriage and Family Therapists: LAISPS is approved by the Board of Behavioral Sciences to grant continuing education
credit to those holding LCSW and MFT licenses. (Provider #PCE311) This activity is designated for 4 credit hours.
- Participants must complete an online evaluation within 2 weeks of completing this CE/CME activity in order to receive credit.
- According to APA guidelines, CE credit can only be awarded to psychologists for full attendance