Vanessa Bell, Ph.D.
4 Thursdays: March 8, 15, 22 & 29, 2018
1:00 – 2:30 p.m.
Course will be held in the instructor’s office
3795 Regal Vista Drive
Sherman Oaks, CA
This Course is Approved for 6 CE/CME’s
Elizabeth E. Berlese, Ph.D.
Extension Program Chair
This class will use theory, clinical case presentation and discussion to improve a clinician’s understanding and skill working with couples. Participants will use readings and published clinical material to learn a process of assessment for couples, techniques for interpretation with couples, impasse management and will have the opportunity to present current case material from their own practice for discussion.
GOALS & OBJECTIVES
Upon completion of this activity participants should be able to:
- Use the initial session and those that follow to set the tone and frame, to evaluate treatment for a particular couple, and to diagnose the nature of their object relationships from archaic to mature.
- Join the system in order to create a therapeutic triangle and an alliance with each partner.
- Strengthen the couple’s alliance with each other.
- Understand and interpret unconscious communication.
- Recognize and articulate goals and limitations of treatment.
- Use transference and countertransference in couple’s therapy.
- Understand enactment and resolve impasse as it occurs.
CONTINUING EDUCATION UNITS (CEU’S)
Important Disclosure: None of the planners or presenters of this CME/CE program has any relevant financial relationship to disclose.
Accreditation and Credit Designation Statement
Accreditation Statement: LAISPS is accredited by the Institute for Medical Quality/California Medical Association (IMQ/CMA) to provide continuing medical
edu cation for physicians. LAISPS takes responsibility for the content, quality and scientific integrity of this CME activity.
Physicians: LAISPS designates this educational activity for a maximum of 6 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits. Physicians should only claim credit
commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity. This credit may also be applied to the CMA Certificate in Continuing Medical
Psychologists: LAISPS is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. LAISPS
maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
Social Workers and Marriage and Family Therapists: LAISPS is approved by the Board of Behavioral Sciences to grant continuing education
credit to those holding LCSW and MFT licenses. (Provider #PCE311) This activity is designated for 6 credit hours.
- Participants must complete an online evaluation within 2 weeks of completing this CE/CME activity in order to receive credit.
- According to APA guidelines, CE credit can only be awarded to psychologists for full attendance