Valerie Rubinstein vonRaffay, Ph.D
SATURDAY, OCTOBER 28, 2017
10:00 am – 12:00 pm
12011 San Vicente Blvd., #520
Los Angeles, CA 90049
This Course Is APA Approved For 2.0 CEs
Elizabeth E. Berlese, Ph.D.
Extension Program Chair
This course will shed light on the motives and conflicts of anorexia.
Franz Kafka’s story “A Hunger Artist”,will be used to illuminate how, when the psyche is dominated by a powerful parental figure, the result can be the experience of being reduced to a “nothing” and lead to the “desire for nothing”. Concepts of psychic retreat, the refusal of desire and human needs and Lacan’s idea of “desire for nothing” (Zizek, S. (2007) will be emphasized, including how this dynamic relates to anorexia.
GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
Upon completion of this program participants will be able to:
- Describe how when the psyche is dominated by a powerful parental figure it can result in the experience of
being reduced to a “nothing”.
- Describe what is meant by “refusal of desire” and human needs, in relationship to Lacan’s idea of “desire for
nothing” in the context of anorexia.
- Give a clinical example of the relationship between “refusal for desire” and the development of anorexia.
CONTINUING EDUCATION UNITS (CEU’S)
Important Disclosure: None of the planners or presenters of this CME/CE program has any relevant financial relationship to disclose.
Accreditation and Credit Designation Statement
Accreditation Statement: LAISPS is accredited by the Institute for Medical Quality/California Medical Association (IMQ/CMA) to provide continuing medical
edu cation for physicians. LAISPS takes responsibility for the content, quality and scientific integrity of this CME activity.
Physicians: LAISPS designates this educational activity for a maximum of 3 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits. Physicians should only claim credit
commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity. This credit may also be applied to the CMA Certificate in Continuing Medical
Psychologists: LAISPS is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. LAISPS
maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
Social Workers and Marriage and Family Therapists: LAISPS is approved by the Board of Behavioral Sciences to grant continuing education
credit to those holding LCSW and MFT licenses. (Provider #PCE311) This activity is designated for 3 credit hours.
- Participants must complete an online evaluation within 2 weeks of completing this CE/CME activity in order to receive credit.
- According to APA guidelines, CE credit can only be awarded to psychologists for full attendance